Early Years, Key Stages 1 & 2
We are pleased to offer guided national curriculum linked tours and sessions for Early Years, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 students.
Our tours and education sessions are typically focused on rainforests, minibeasts, animals and their habitats – but we’re happy to cater to your individual topic! Each tour lasts approximately one hour and is free of charge for each pre-booked school group. Tours are limited to groups of 30 students – larger groups must be split and toured in two groups.
Typically schools arrive any time after 10am when the centre opens and stay until about 2pm, though afternoon visits are also very welcome. We do have somewhere to leave baggage if it cannot be left on the coach.
A member of staff will meet the teacher in charge and discuss topics to be covered (if not already arranged) and the timetable – refreshment breaks, home time, etc.
Touch tours can be based on key stages of the national curriculum. Rainforests, mini-beasts and habitats are three of the more popular topics. We do not take more than 30 children on tours, splitting larger groups so each half do separate activities and then swap. We don’t accept bookings adding up to more than 70 children from different schools for the same period, but are happy to have even larger groups from the same school - we would then take no other educational bookings on that day. When there are big groups we add short keeper talks in order to stagger the inside tour. As the inside section is divided into several rooms, a number of tours can take place simultaneously. We never expect groups to do nothing but wait their turn.
We have successfully hosted several groups of home schoolers who have combined to meet the 12 paying people criteria for our free guided tour. If that is not feasible, for smaller groups we may be able to give a short meet the animal session free of charge or a full touch tour for an extra fee (staff permitting). Alternatively, at weekends and during school holidays, we offer many animal talks and 'meet the critter' sessions included in the standard admission price.
Nursery groups are very welcome. Touching or holding a real living creature – under careful supervision – is particularly valuable for the younger child. We are well used to adapting the tour to the appropriate age.
- £6 per head (under 16)
- Minimum group size of 12
- Supervising adults free at the appropriate ratio
- Easily accessible by coach, five minutes from M6 J35 on the A6 north bound
- Free car and coach parking
- Well stocked gift shop with a varied range of animal-themed gifts, natural minerals and fossils, as well as fair trade gifts and locally produced confectionery
- More flexible arrangements with local schools who are considering projects involving repeated visits for small groups over longer periods
- Teachers are welcome on 'scouting missions'. We do ask you to pay, but if you collect a teacher's receipt your personal entry fee will be refunded to you in cash when you return with the group.
- Please get in touch with any questions or proposals, or to make a booking please phone 015395 63027 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .